From Exports to Customization to Automation, These Sage 100 Tips & Tricks Are Sure to Speed Up Your Daily Tasks
Since you spend quite a bit of time in Sage 100 each day, you probably already have your own personalized handful of time-saving shortcuts and configurations that make your day-to-day work easier. But it is only natural that you want to work faster.
If you are ready to learn additional Sage 100 tips & tricks that will streamline your workday and shear significant time off your daily tasks, this info-packed webinar will help. Watch the webinar now.
Skip to the Sections that Matter to You!
This webinar features SWK’s Sage 100 Project Manager, Bruce Kern, who goes over tips that will help you get more done in Sage every day. Looking for specific information? Use this summary to skip forward to the parts that interest you.
Timestamp information is located to the right of each item. Please select that time when you are watching the video.
How to Update Journals & Registers with Automation
Typically, it takes a 2-step process to update your journals and registers: (1) run daily reports and updates, then (2) run the daily transaction register to update your General Ledger. If you miss the second step for any reason, your financials will be off. Fortunately, you can automate the second step, so you do not miss it.
- Overview of the full process (3:27)
- SWK gets support calls about this all the time – here is how to tell if this is a problem your company is experiencing (4:35)
- Why the 2-step process exists, and why it is based on faulty logic (4:58)
- How to automate the second click, so you only have to click once (5:40)
- Tip: How the “Search” function saves time (6:16)
- See it in action (7:49)
How to Automate Dull, Manual Tasks Using Task Scheduler
The Task Scheduler helps you avoid dull, time-consuming, rote work in Sage 100 such as running updates and system reports, importing jobs, and refreshing customers and items. In this handy tip, Bruce shows you how to use Task Scheduler to do a General Ledger import from Visual Integrator.
- Overview of the full process (12:05)
- Introduction to using the Task Scheduler (12:24)
- How to do a GL import from Visual Integrator (14:24)
- View the backend of Visual Integrator to see how the task was set up (15:31)
- See it in action (16:53)
- Discover how to use the Task Scheduler log (17:43)
- Tip: What does the flashlight icon do in General Ledger? (18:49)
- Creative ideas for using the Task Scheduler (19:56)
How to Create Company-Specific Custom Crystal Reports
Sage provides standard reports, but having the same look and feel for reports in different company codes can cause issues – especially on days when you need more caffeine. Once you know the trick in Sage 100, you will find it easy to display standard Crystal Reports differently for each separate company you work within by adding logos, colors, or changing the general layout of the report.
- Overview of the full process (20:51)
- View a standard report (21:21)
- How to place a custom report you’ve created into your company reports file (23:11)
- See it in action (24:32)
- Tip: Pay attention to how you name your report (25:09)
How to Track Quality Inspector IDs to Improve the Recall Process on Lot / Serial Number Items
If your business relies heavily on lot and serial number tracking, you probably also have occasional recalls to deal with. Standard Sage 100 processes certainly help make recalls easier – but there is room for improvement. This part of the Sage 100 tips & tricks webinar walks you through how you can customize your Sage 100 system to capture specific data (the Quality Inspector ID) to speed up your recalls in the future.
Note: This tip requires some customization knowledge that Bruce glosses over. We recommend that you watch the process carefully and, of course, contact your Customer Account Manager at SWK Technologies as soon as you have a question.
- Overview of the full process (25:33)
- How to set up User-Defined Fields for custom data capture (27:06)
- Tip: Why validation is important for this data capture process (27:29)
- Tip: What to do if you run into data row limits (28:10)
- Tip: The advantages of using user defined tables instead of rows (28:27)
- Other areas to add User-Defined Fields (29:10)
- Tip: Why you need to strategize carefully when customizing Sage 100 (30:13)
- Tip: What is a work table? (31:14)
- See it in action (31:50)
- Tip: What happens when validation rules are not met (34:49)
- How the customization process can affect reports (36:03)
- How to view your data capture by resetting the default report (36:41)
- Tip: How to focus on a specific Quality Inspector ID in your reports (38:34)
6 Sage 100 Tips & Tricks That Help You Export Sage Data to Excel
Sage 100 is great for capturing information and tracking it, but one of the best ways to analyze your Sage data is to export to Microsoft Excel for charts, graphs, and pivot tables. In this section, Bruce describes six ways you can export to Excel. Watching them all is likely to inspire you to adopt a new export method.
- Overview of the full process (38:53)
How to allow users to export to Excel with an export button
- Overview (39:14)
- Tip: Understand ODBC security (40:32)
- Tip: Why System Configuration saves time (40:56)
- Using the Advanced Lookup Engine to streamline this process (41:37)
- Tip: How to customize the standard view with a “mini report writer” (42:19)
- Tip: Where to find additional fields to add (44:17)
- See it in action (45:07)
How to export from Business Insights Explorer views
- Overview (45:31)
- What you can modify with Business Insights Explorer (46:29)
- Tip: Understanding the 2 panes of Business Insights Explorer views (47:04)
- Export option tips for Business Insights Explorer (47:41)
- See it in action (48:28)
- Tip: Why Business Insights Explorer is a great choice for Excel exports (48:41)
- Tip: An important comment about subtotals (48:49)
How to export from Visual Integrator
- Overview (49:02)
- See it in action (50:17)
- Tip: Why Visual Integrator’s exports and imports help save time (51:43)
- Tip: A few cautions with .csv files (52:28)
How to export from Crystal Reports
- Overview (53:10)
- Tip: Design tips that make the difference (53:17)
- See it in action (55:14)
- Tip: The setting that helps you get the data you want (55:42)
- Tip: An important caution about formatting (56:19)
How to export raw data from Sage 100 with ODBC
- Overview (56:43)
- See it in action (56:57)
- Tip: Options for filters, sorting, and data selection (58:31)
How to export directly from a grid screen
- Overview (59:29)
- Tip: How to export directly (59:56)
- See it in action (01:01:05)
Curious whether these Sage 100 tips & tricks will work with your Sage 100 version? Find out.
- Can these tips be implemented in all versions of Sage? (01:02:16)
Extend Your Learning
This in-depth walkthrough of tips and tricks that will help you get more done every day in your Sage 100 system was only one of the many free, in-depth webinars SWK Technologies offers to help you do more with your technology.
If you liked this video and you want to watch more in-depth webinars that will help you use your business tech to drive success, please check out our upcoming events and webinars.
In the meantime, please bookmark this webinar link so you can return to the information whenever you need it.
Get Fast Answers
Anytime you have questions about your business technology options, all you have to do is reach out to our team of seasoned experts here at SWK Technologies.
Contact SWK today to get your questions answered or fill out the form below.
Talk to the financial software experts at SWK