VP of Product Marketing – Acumatica
SWK Technologies, Inc.
Acumatica 2022 R2 includes 60+ new features and over 250+ enhancements across the product suite. As Ali Jani, Chief Product Officer at Acumatica, said during the virtual product launch, version 2022 R2 includes more features based on customer feedback than any previous release. This is the direct result of Acumatica product managers visiting with customers to see how they are using the product. Customer use cases are at the foundation of Acumatica’s product innovations.
As with any major release, it is important to read the release notes and fully test the upgrade before applying it to your production environment. For Acumatica SaaS customers, an upgrade sandbox is provided by the publisher as well as the performance of the production upgrade. It is the responsibility of the customer to perform pre-upgrade testing. The system requirements below apply to customers that are self-hosted.
Multiple breaking changes have been made to Acumatica 2022 R2 that impact reports, customizations, and integrations that were implemented in prior versions. The complete list of these changes is provided in the Reference List of Changes in the Release Notes document.
Acumatica has outlined the following system requirements to run Acumatica 2022 R2. Please note, these system requirements are subject to change, so please refer to Acumatica Community (login required) or the help files for the most up-to-date requirements.
Before upgrading your current Acumatica Cloud ERP instance, we strongly recommend that an administrator back up all Acumatica configuration files and databases. For a detailed description of how to update Acumatica Cloud ERP, see “Updating Acumatica ERP” in the Installation Guide which can also be found on the Acumatica Community forum.
There are three components of Acumatica ERP to consider prior to upgrade:
- Web interface accessed through workstations and other user devices
- Application Server/Web Server
- Database Engine
For Acumatica 2022 R2, each of these components must meet or exceed the system requirements outlined in this post.
Internet Explorer Support Ended June 15, 2022
Releases of Acumatica prior to June 15, 2022 will provide support for Internet Explorer, but all releases on or after June 15 will not. However, Acumatica Cloud ERP will continue to support Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Apple Safari.
Azure Cloud Services – Classic Support Retired
On August 24, 2021, Microsoft announced plans to retire the Cloud Services (classic) deployment model effective August 31, 2024. As of April 5, 2021, the new Azure Cloud Services deployment model is generally available.
Starting with Acumatica 2022 R1, users cannot use the Cloud Service Classic deployment model, as Acumatica is switching to the new deployment model and is no longer providing the following:
- Azure service package file
- Ability to generate .cscfg files through the Configuration Wizard
To deploy Acumatica 2022 R1 or later on the Windows Azure platform, users will need to create a Windows virtual machine in the Azure portal and follow the instructions for installing Acumatica locally.
Workstations or devices used to access Acumatica Cloud ERP should meet or exceed the hardware and software requirements listed below:
Hardware and Software Requirements
- Minimum display resolution of 1024×768, the typical display resolution of 1920×1080
- Adobe Reader 2019 or later to open Acumatica ERP PDFs
- Microsoft Office (to view documents exported from Acumatica ERP)
- Microsoft Office
- 2003 with the Microsoft Office 2007 compatibility pack
- Web Browsers
- Microsoft Edge 44 or later
- Mozilla Firefox 82 or later
- Apple Safari 12 or later
- Google Chrome 87 or later
- Microsoft Office
Note: Starting on June 15, 2022, Internet Explorer will no longer be supported by any Acumatica ERP version.
The environment where you install the server part of the Acumatica ERP should meet the hardware and software requirements listed below.
- Operating systems
- Windows Server 2019 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2016 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2012 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2008 64-bit edition
- Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit edition
Note: You can install the server part of Acumatica ERP on non-server operating systems, such as Windows Vista 64-bit edition, Windows 7.0 64-bit edition, Windows 8.0 64-bit edition, Windows 8.1 64-bit edition, and Windows 10 64-bit edition, but only for testing purposes. For production, you must use a server operating system. No, Windows 11 is not currently supported. I inquired with Acumatica support and they said desktop operating systems were not a primary concern. If I did install Acumatica on a Windows 11 computer, they would support me.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8
- Microsoft .NET Core 3.1
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, or 10 depending on the underlying operating system.
Note: You must set the Enable 32-bit Applications option to False in IIS settings. Acumatica ERP 2022 R2 supports only the Integrated mode of the application pool. Classic mode is not supported. If you try to upgrade an earlier version of Acumatica ERP using Classic mode for the application pool, the upgrade to Acumatica 2022 R1 will display an error message and fail.
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- CPU: 2 cores; 3.5 GHz
- Hard Disk Space:1 GB available hard disk space plus 200 MB for each additional instance of Acumatica ERP
You can find system requirements for the database you are using with Acumatica ERP below. Keep in mind that these are minimum requirements. Your installation should be sized based on expected performance and storage needs. Review the typical hardware configuration for PCS and PCP licenses before proceeding.
- Microsoft SQL Server
- MySQL Community Edition Server
- 5.7 or 8.0 64-bit edition
- 8 GB RAM
- 2 cores; 2 GHz
- Hard Disks Space: For each database, 1 GB of available hard disk space. Depending on the number of transactions, additional hard disk space may be required to store large numbers of transactions.
Code Authoring Environments
To create stand-alone applications with Acumatica ERP or develop customizations and add-on solutions on top of Acumatica ERP, you need one of the integrated development environments (IDEs) listed below.
- Microsoft Visual Studio with Microsoft Web Developer Tools
- 2019: Community, Professional, or Enterprise edition
Configuring Web Server (IIS) Features
Before you install the Acumatica ERP server software, make sure that the following Web Server (IIS) features are turned on:
- Web Management Tools > IIS Management Console
- World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features > .NET Extensibility
- World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features > ASP.NET
- World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features > ISAPI Extensions
- World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features > ISAPI Filters
- World Wide Web Services > Common HTTP Features > Default Document
- World Wide Web Services > Common HTTP Features > Static Content
- World Wide Web Services > Performance Features > Dynamic Content Compression
- World Wide Web Services > Performance Features > Static Content Compression
- World Wide Web Services > Security > Request Filtering
Note: Make sure each application pool you are planning to use with Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2 or later has the Enable 32-bit Applications parameter set to False. The parameter is located under the IIS Manager > Application Pools > Edit Application Pool > Advanced Settings menu.
Setting Up an HTTPS Service in Web Server (IIS)
HTTPS is a secure communications channel used to exchange information between a client computer and a server. You may need to set up an HTTPS service for the Web Server (IIS) – for example, if your users export data to Microsoft Excel and want to update the data automatically, or you want to use single sign-on (SSO).
To enable SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for the Web Server (IIS), you must first obtain a certificate that is used to encrypt and decrypt the information that is transferred over the network. You receive a certificate file from a certification authority, and then register the certificate with your Web Server (IIS). For instructions, refer to the documentation provided with your Web Server (IIS).
Acumatica does not support self-signed certificate.
Enabling Semantic Search for Microsoft SQL Server
To access the full-text search functionality, you must install Semantic Search on the Microsoft SQL Server. For more information on searching in Acumatica ERP, see Building Search Indexes in the Acumatica ERP System Administration Guide or online help.
To install Semantic Search, select Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search on the Features to Install page during Microsoft SQL Server setup. For additional details, see the documentation that accompanies Microsoft SQL Server.
The Apply Updates (SM203510) form in Acumatica only lists minor updates for the currently installed version of Acumatica Cloud ERP. The administrator should manually upgrade the currently installed major version of Acumatica ERP on the server to Acumatica 2022 R2.
Please Note: Using the web interface to upgrade to Acumatica 2022 R1 is not supported.
Before administrators install or upgrade to Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2, they must complete the following:
- Switch the Internet Information Services application pool where the Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2 instance will be installed to Integrated mode. Acumatica 2022 R2 does not support Classic mode.
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 on the server where the Acumatica ERP 2022 R2 instance will be installed.
- Install Microsoft .NET Core 3.1 on the server where the Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2 instance will be installed.
- Ensure the upgrade process for Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2 follows one of the supported upgrade paths outlined in the Upgrade Paths section below.
- If your company uses reports, customizations, or integrations to third-party products, see Upgrade Procedure: Customizations and Integrations in the Release Notes for Developers available on the Acumatica Community.
- If your company uses custom or customized forms, see Upgrade Procedure: Redesigned Form Toolbar on Custom and Customized Forms in the Release Notes for Developers available on the Acumatica Community.
- If your company has deployed integrated solutions that use OAuth 2.0 or OpenID Connect, see Upgrade Procedure: Changes to the Integrations that Use OAuth 2.0 or OpenID Connect in the Release Notes for Developers available on the Acumatica Community.
- If your company uses customized credit card processing, see Upgrade Procedure: Integrated Credit Card Processing Feature in the Release Notes for Developers available on the Acumatica Community.
The upgrade process for Acumatica Cloud ERP 2022 R2 depends on the version of Acumatica you currently have installed.
Direct Upgrade to 2022 R2
- 2022 R2 BETA
- 2022 R2 Preview 2
- 2022 R2 Preview 1
- 2022 R1
- 2021 R2
- 2021 R1
Note: For a list of previous upgradable versions for later 2022 R2 updates, see the Release Notes for the corresponding 2022 R2 update.
Incremental Upgrade to 2022 R2
- 2020 R2
- Step 1: Upgrade to 2022 R1
- Step 2: Upgrade to 2022 R2
- 2020 R1
- Step 1: Upgrade to the latest build of 2021 R2
- Step 2: Upgrade to 2022 R2
- 2019 R1
- Step 1: Upgrade to the latest build of 2020 R2
- Step 2: Upgrade to 2021 R2
- We recommend that before starting the upgrade process, you review the following sections in the Acumatica 2022 R2 Release Notes for additional tasks you may need to plan for and complete before, during, or after the upgrade process.
- Post-Upgrade Change and Actions
- Upgrade Notes Specific to Retail-Commerce Functionality
- Actions Before Upgrade
Discover More Tips, Tricks and Other Features for Acumatica
SWK Technologies will help you get the most out of your ERP investment, leveraging our deep technological and industry knowledge as a top Acumatica partner and Community resource. Check out some of our Acumatica videos and other educational resources, and reach out to us when you’re ready to learn more tips and tricks to maximize your value return on your software.
Contact SWK here to gain access to more Acumatica tips, tricks, updates and tailored demos.
Learn More About Acumatica